List segmentation is the process of dividing your prospect/customer list (or database) into distinct groups of buyers. Where list profiling helps you define your targeted audience, list segmentation helps improve your marketing efforts through the targeting of a highly relevant message.
The overall intent of list segmentation is to:
- Identify groups of similar customers and potential customers
- Prioritize the groups
- Target more closely based on known behavior patterns
- Respond with appropriate marketing strategies that satisfy the different preferences of each chosen segment.
Today, customers expect you to know who they are and communicate with them accordingly. List segmentation helps you tailor your message so it’s more relevant, thus driving a higher response rate. It is commonly used by direct marketing experts for campaigns ranging from lead generation and cross-sell/upsell to customer reactivation and customer retention.
Businesses that target specialty markets can promote their products and services more effectively than a business aiming at the masses.
Mailing list segmentation includes the following areas:
- Demographics: gender, age, occupations, etc.
- Geography: city, state, zip code
- Buying Behavior: product usage, attitudes, responses
- Psychographics: lifestyle, values, personality
- Corpographics/Firmographics: a company’s annual revenue, number of locations, employees, SIC code, etc.
At Dynamark we do much more than printing and mailing of a campaign. We can help your business grow. Call us today.